Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Bee Venom Allergy Vaccine Developed

Vaccine with Reduced IgE Binding and Preserved T Cell Epitopes Prevents Allergy Attacks
Physician Law Weekly, 1/25/2006

A recombinant multi-allergen vaccine with reduced IgE binding and preserved T cell epitopes prevents allergy attacks.

According to recent research published in the European Journal of Immunology, "Novel approaches for the prevention of allergy are required, because of the inevitably increasing prevalence of allergic diseases during the last 30 years."

Fariba Karamloo at the Swiss Institute of Allergy and Asthma Research and collaborators throughout the world announced, "A recombinant chimeric protein, which comprises the whole amino acid sequences of three bee venom major allergens has been engineered and used in prevention of bee venom sensitization in mice."

"Phospholipase A (Api in 1), hyaluronidase (Api m 2) and melittin (Api in 3) fragments with overlapping amino acids were assembled in a different order in the Api in (1/2/3) chimeric protein, which preserved entire T cell epitopes, whereas B cell epitopes of all three allergens were abrogated," the scientists explained. "Accordingly, IgE cross-linking leading to mast cell and basophil mediator release was profoundly reduced in humans. Supporting these findings, the Api in (1/2/3) induced 100 to 1000 times less type-1 skin test reactivity in allergic patients."

"Treatment of mice with Api in (1/2/3) led to a significant reduction of specific IgE development towards native allergen, representing a protective vaccine effect in vivo," the authors noted. . .

Karamloo and associates published their study in the European Journal of Immunology (Prevention of allergy by a recombinant multi-allergen vaccine with reduced IgE binding and preserved T cell epitopes. Eur J Immunol, 2005;35(11):3268-3276).

For additional information, contact Fariba Karamloo, Swiss Institute of Allergy and Asthma Research (SIAF), Obere Strasse 22, CH-7270 Davos, Switzerland. E-mail: karamlooflory@compuserve.de.

The publisher's contact information for the European Journal of Immunology is: Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH, PO Box 10 11 61, D-69451 Weinheim, Germany.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad vaccine was developed .. But here's my story:

When I was one and a half year old i stepped infront of my grandpa's beehives .. I got 150 stinges and were in a hospital for several months.

We lived together, but Grandpa kept the bees ... I was afraid of the bees ever since .. but two years ago .. my grandpa died .. and now believe it or not I have become a beekeeper. ;) I'm glad I was able to watch my grandpa for years and his beehives are my precious memory ... Now I raise bees and even produce queens and some royal jelly ...

Well .. the thing is because of my early childhood bee accident I developed a mild bee sting allergy ... the allergy sypthoms have been with me for 20 years ..

But now that I'm beekeeping I get app 3 stinges per week .. and i sort of developed immunity .. a get almost no swealling after i get stinged .. before i was swealling big time.